So soon Doro and I are headed out to the fabled Pizza Parlor, Chucky Cheese for a Birthday party. But this Bday is a little different from the last few that we have been too, the invitation specifically states No Gifts Please!!! Double underlined, bolded and very emphatic. So I asked D why no gifts and she answered back a little puzzled, cringing “Because the mom doesnt want anymore mess in her house.” This is per the Birthday Boy.
Now maybe its true and maybe its not but for a kid I have to think its hard to have a birthday party and not get presents. I mean isn’t that the point. The stacks of brightly colored gifts celebrating 1 more year survived, one more notch on the belt, another step closer to adulthood where birthdays lose there luster and flair.
I just thought it was odd, its kind of a trade off. The birthday party provides my kid something to do, something to celebrate and in thanks I give your kid a gift. Seems fair enough to me.
I dont think this is the political birthday position i will be running as long as D as any say in the matter. I believe I would tank at the poles.
this is an older article, if you want the latest and greatest check out this one.
So I am just kinda drooling over an Ereader. I was pretty much all set to get a kindle until a pal o mine made mention of the new Barnes and Nobles Nook that is coming. It’s going to be released in late November for the same price as the Kindle 2, $259.00. Ereaders are sweet. I really think down the road once OLED gets going this is the future of communications. The biggest differences are listed below.
The Nook is a little smaller than the kindle but the display size is the same and its a little thicker.
|Height:||7.7 inches||8 inches|
|Width:||4.9 inches||5.3 inches|
|Depth:||0.5 inches||.36 inches|
1. You can lend books on the Nook. You can not do that now on the kindle. That rocks- But alas there are going to be caveats, some publishers may turn this feature off and books may be able to only be leant out once.
2. You can view any pdf on the Nook. You cant do that on the kindle without a little fee.
3. Nook has a Color Touch Screen – 3.5″ TFT Color LCD – this is at the bottom and is used to control all the nifty stuff the nook does. Nook also has a replaceable battery, Kindle does not.
4. Both can defaultly hold about 1500 titles but the Nook has a memory card slot that can increase that to 17000.
5. You can browse the book covers in color. They are making a big deal about this. I dont really think there is anything overly compelling about browsing small still pics in color or in B&W especially when I am just trying to find a book i am going to read in B&W.
6. You can put pictures on your Nook and “personalize” it. Blah. Meh. I dont care about this either. Its an ereader. I have 10 other devices that I can put pictures on. Mabey link to Flickr would be cool but really its an Ereader-you read shit on it.
7. Battery power goes to the Kindle, it lasts 14 days with one charge with wireless turned off. Nook only lasts 10.
8. It has wifi and 3g. Kindle only has 3g. (Wifi is the wireless router you have at the house)- And Barnes and Nobles wants to make sure you know that they have free wifi at their stores for ya.
9. Barnes and Nobles has over a million titles ready to roll and amazon has 350k for the kindle. You can preview any of the books on both devices.
10. Word docs dont work on the nook and do on the kindle. Epub and ereader formats supported on the Nook.
The parenting thing freaks me out. I sometimes feel trapped. Not by being a parent I love that. But by knowing what to do next and is it the right thing to do and how screwed up is my kid gona be if I do this and how much will therapy cost. its like a barrage. And i enjoy the constant challenge but man i wish we I could see who she was gonna be at the end. Kinda.
D is old for a 7 year old. Not like old maid old or serial depressed killer old but heck she is almost more mature than I am. You should see D and I teasing each other with her mom in the middle trying to maintain peace.
I don’t know, there is some weird residual guilt for raising my kid the way I do i guess, maybe because we are friends, Really good friends. And why not, chick loves Cool movies(Although really good PG movies are not the easiest to find), and good music. She is begging for Sar and I to take her to Next Big Thing. But there is a weird discipline between Us. If you have been around us you know how D is. She owns her mistakes. For the most part. She listens and respects us and I think that is because we listen and respect her.
Its a truly powerful thing when you have the ability to totally mold someones world view. I have seen 3 year old racists. Its a crazy powerful thing, and its one that I want to make sure to consider in all my actions.
I feel grouchy tonight. Grouchy, grumpy, depressed and sad. I think it is a mild case of Sarah withdrawal, because pretty much it is the same every Monday night. Yesterday i was with the person that really does complete me as corny as that may seem and tonight I am not. Youd think I would be used to it but I am not. I miss my bud, sharing my day getting a kiss and a little more if I am well behaved. We got about 18 months to go before we are back together again. Sometimes that seems like nothing and sometimes it seems like forever. Tonight is a forever night. O well I have my little devil spawn, the apple of my eye with me to keep me company and keep me busy.
Its just funny to me. We bust our ass(we the human race) to find a way to hang out with the people we love, or at least i would like to think that is why most of us do the crap that we do. To be secure financially so we can play when we are post 55 or now post 65. So that gives us about 10 years to enjoy the fruits of the last 6 decades. By that time though it seems like we are spending more time in proximity to our doctors than anything else. So when we finally get to that mythical place of financial security and we have the time to hang out with the people that make us happy our bodies are falling apart. Someone some where is laughing at us. Sometimes I think there has to be a better way.